The Disgaea Fan Forums  

Go Back   The Disgaea Fan Forums > Makai Wars > Disgaea

Disgaea Journey throughout the Netherworld to claim your rightful title as Overlord.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
Nerv-Faktor
Good for Nothing
Good For Nothing

Question Etna Mode

I'm about to start Etna mode for the first time and I can't decide wether I should start a newgame+ or start from level 1.

Therefore, I have a few questions:
1) In a newgame+ the levels of enemies are lvl*5+60(?), making the enemies in stage 1 level 65. That's ok, but does that also affect the item world, meaning that the enemies on the first floor of a 'common sword'-world would also be level 65?

2) I read that even though the enemies in stage 1 are level 65 in a newgame+, they still have the equipment of their level 1 equivalents, is that right? So in the later stages the enemies will be level 200+, but only have level 30 equipment?

3) Doesn't that mean these enemies have sub-par stats for their levels and the fights will be easier than they should be? In addition, I would keep my equipment from the completed Laharl mode and would be fighting enemies with lvl 1 equipment while having lvl 50+ equipment myself, right? Is this noticeable in difficulty?

What about the weapon masteries? Will those level 65 enemies in stage 1 simply attack because they keep the level 1 masteries or will they be able use abilities like Avalanche against me?
Nerv-Faktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Cim
Genius
Tyrant Overlord
Genius

You know, those are excellent questions that I don't have the answers to, because I never got around to playing Etna Mode. DX

I know one or two people here have, and hopefully they'll be able to answer that for you. xD
Cim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
Silently Vocal
Skilled
Average

Truth be told, I never got interested in Etna Mode. I've finished the main story dozens of times, but Etna mode never enticed me to continue quite as much.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
Cim
Genius
Tyrant Overlord
Genius

You can enter Etna mode as though you were just beginning the game if you choose to enter the code that we have here. However, if you choose to go through the game and play and read all of her journal entries the enemies will be increased in level, but they will have the same equipment and abilities, but their skillset in those abilities will be higher.

In short, level up before you go do it and save an extra file just in case you aren't strong enough, because you won't start off with access to the DA, but you will be able to use the item world.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
Akuhei
Distinguished
Vassal
Skilled

Ah, Etna mode. Almost as fun as the main story, in my honest opinion. Let me tell you what I can, just keep in mind it's been at least a year or two since I last played it.

1. I seem to recall the Item Mode being unaffected. They scale like they normally do.

2. That pretty much sums it up, unless you passed a bill to make enemies stronger at some point. Then, obviously, they'd be a little tougher. The equipment is constant, though.

3. Etna mode is actually pretty simple in the earlier levels, but it gets tougher. A lot tougher. Like..."Wow, this is a ****" difficult, if you're going for the true ending. And if you get bored, just pass the stronger enemies bill.

4. I'm 90% sure the masteries carry over. Therefore, watch out for the special skills.

Anyway, Etna mode is pretty fun, in my humble opinion. Just make sure you're prepared, especially if you're going for the true ending. I'd suggest you start from Newgame+ just because you'd be screwed otherwise.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #6
Nerv-Faktor
Good for Nothing
Good For Nothing

Thanks for all the answers.
Another question: What is the 'true ending' of the Etna mode? Baal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuhei View Post
I'd suggest you start from Newgame+ just because you'd be screwed otherwise.
Why is that? If it's not a Newgame+ the enemies in the first stages should be lvl 1, or am I missing something?
Old 09-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
Akuhei
Distinguished
Vassal
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv-Faktor View Post
Thanks for all the answers.
Another question: What is the 'true ending' of the Etna mode? Baal?

Why is that? If it's not a Newgame+ the enemies in the first stages should be lvl 1, or am I missing something?
Yep, the true ending is when you beat Baal after recruiting Marjoly and Priere. It's a tough fight.

Well, if it's not a Newgame+, your characters weapon skills don't carry over, which makes everything a lot more difficult. Skill levels are also reset. You're fighting on pretty even ground towards the beginning, since you don't get to keep your weapons, armor, or items with a new game, but the enemies scale in level much faster than you do, making it increasingly more difficult.

Also, as far as the enemy equipment goes, I believe it's set up so that even though it's level 1 equipment, it's leveled up. I'm gonna have to check up on that factor, though, since I really don't remember much as far as the equipment goes.

Don't hold me to it, though. There's really no benefit to starting a new game rather than a new game+, though. If you're tempted to do a new game, you can, as Cim said earlier, use the code to start Etna mode from the get go on the second save file. You could also use the second save file to just test things out and see if you prefer one way or the other.

Edit: After thinking it over a bit, it may be that the enemies base stats get boosted in order to compensate if they're using their level 1 equipment. I know for a fact it provides a significant challenge, so it's either that or they get different equipment. I really couldn't tell you, I haven't played it in a year or two.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
Nerv-Faktor
Good for Nothing
Good For Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuhei View Post
Well, if it's not a Newgame+, your characters weapon skills don't carry over, which makes everything a lot more difficult. Skill levels are also reset. You're fighting on pretty even ground towards the beginning, since you don't get to keep your weapons, armor, or items with a new game, but the enemies scale in level much faster than you do, making it increasingly more difficult.
Not starting a Newgame+ basically means starting with lvl 1 Etna and 3 lvl 1 Prinnies, while Newgame+ means everything stays the same and I keep all my characters excluding Laharl, right?
I'd like to try a team of different characters this time, and maybe giving Etna an axe instead of a spear, but I guess I could just start a Newgame+ and reincarnate all characters into what I want them to be.

One last question: What about the bonus locations like Prinny Land and Cave of Ordeals? Will the enemies in there have the *5 increased level and be lvl 700+?
Old 09-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
Cim
Genius
Tyrant Overlord
Genius

Yeah, they get the increase as well, plus an additional 60, so all the bosses will start out at LVL 9999 from the start.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #10
DarkPrier
Average
Incompetent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv-Faktor View Post
Not starting a Newgame+ basically means starting with lvl 1 Etna and 3 lvl 1 Prinnies, while Newgame+ means everything stays the same and I keep all my characters excluding Laharl, right?
I'd like to try a team of different characters this time, and maybe giving Etna an axe instead of a spear, but I guess I could just start a Newgame+ and reincarnate all characters into what I want them to be.

One last question: What about the bonus locations like Prinny Land and Cave of Ordeals? Will the enemies in there have the *5 increased level and be lvl 700+?
if you couldn't already tell, Laharl is...in Etna mode so you can't use him.