The Disgaea Fan Forums  

Go Back   The Disgaea Fan Forums > General > The Lounge

The Lounge Talk about movies, televisions shows, comics and books with people that probably don't care!

Old 05-10-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
Neo
Skilled
Average

Default Why are most protagonists so god-awful?

(Now where the hell does this topic go anyway?)
The question came to me when replying to the Disgaea Anime Thread about why I think Adell is so boring.

In fact there are only very few series/movies/books/games I know where I liked the protagonist to the very end. In most cases I couldn't help thinking "Just get lost and die, man!" after a while.
Protagonists kinda suck. Why is that so? Okay, most "heroes" are luckers. And that's annoying after a while. But I don't think that's all.
So what do you think are the symptoms of protagonist syndrom?
But we need him to pay for this place so I hereby reluctantly acknowledge him as the Overlord. For now.
He can get a lawn chair instead of his basket and one extra meal on sundays if he asks nicely.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #2
blackxcrowdy
Average
Incompetent

idk, I like most of the protagonist I see.
and I dont like most of the antagonist
Old 05-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
ChiiKimono
Skilled
Average

Hmmm..... well for starters (Oh damn buddy you picked the wrong thing to say xD)

1.) Some protoginests are whiny little wusses. They cant' do anything and complain and just aren't cheerful. But in the end they learn a valuble lesson and get all macho and crap. *Insert eye roll here*

2.)Opposite of first one, when the hero thinks they're something else and are smug bastards. I mean the bad ones btw. They just don't give a crap and are extremely dramatic.

3.)This ones for girl heros, the ones that are total dead brains and get themselves kidnapped and do the most stupidest things. Real dead brains.

4.)Hero's that have no sense of humor what so ever, no sarcasim, no emotion, not even modesty, no witty coments at all. Just blank. Boring as hell.

Ok that's all I can think of but damn I could come up with more!
There are my favorite types of heros:
-Sarcastic heros that always seem to not take much seriously at all (Emily the Strange could be refered to right here)
-Sadistic heros, they've always got that charm about them that people like
-Medie heroic heros, the ones that go for the justic and know what to do, what's right and wrong. They do what their heart says and crap like that. But they don't over due it. They have other qualities to them that people like.

Watch Makai Tales on my youtube acount!
http://www.youtube.com/user/AniseChi

The road to happiness is a long one....

Even if your arms and legs are broken and you can't move. You can never give up! Thats just my style *Sparkle sparkle*

No giving in and no giving up! Go for it all the way!
ChiiKimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
Auwchii
Skilled
Vassal
Average

Location: Right behind you... Above you perhaps? Nah right under... nevermind..

Since we're talking about why some protagonists are god-awful, well. I'm going to explain what a protagonist is; a character or a main character that the story is centered around in.

And I've learned through many roleplays, that it REALLY depends on who you consider "Protagonist" and "Antagonists", really you have your own opinion what a protagonist is.

As we're on topic, I do not like some protagonists at times.

So I'm going to list some good protagonist traits instead.

How about a Antagonist turning into a Protagonist? That seems to be a bit more favorable.

Protagonists that have nearly split personalities? I mean come on, who wouldn't want Mr. Nice guy turn into, Mr. BADASS TO THE BONE!

Comedy Protagonist, Oh dear lord these guys would make you laugh to hell, as if they had practice teasing people to the point of making you laugh.

Tragedy Protagonist, Less on Men, this is more of a woman's trait, from what I see a lot.

Take over the world protagonist - You know when hes serious about taking over the world.

Anti-hero Protagonists, Similar to Antagonist, however different. I like this one sometimes.

Magical Girl Protagonist - When you just know, fighting evil is a scary thing, and modern science doesn't work, you just pull out your wand, and fire a giant beam of love~

... Well I dunno if i just simply listed... things. But you get what i mean.

At any case, I really don't mind what sort of protagonist it is, unless... well.. You don't want to know.

If i were to list one type of protagonist. I would look for:
A protagonist who simply messed around in life, Then later learns that life has more meaning than just fun and games, through the hard way.

The Cool and calm types. They get to me.

[15:42]Coobie Well Seyiku
[15:42]Coobie I do intentionally cause people suffering
Auwchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
Neo
Skilled
Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auwchii View Post
Magical Girl Protagonist - When you just know, fighting evil is a scary thing, and modern science doesn't work, you just pull out your wand, and fire a giant beam of love~

... Well I dunno if i just simply listed... things. But you get what i mean.
"And now for totally non-copyrighted magic effects. I swear I'm not Sailor Moon! *explosion* Let's see Sailor Moon do that..., b**ch." xD

How about listing some series with protagonists that do not suck.
One of my favorites would be Alucard (Hellsing). He's a badass "Go to hell"-antihero. Luv him.
I also liked Lelouch (Code Geass) quite a lot but then again he was a little too obsessed with his little sister. [little sister/brother complex = +100k sucker points]
But we need him to pay for this place so I hereby reluctantly acknowledge him as the Overlord. For now.
He can get a lawn chair instead of his basket and one extra meal on sundays if he asks nicely.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
ChiiKimono
Skilled
Average

Well here's my list of fav protagonists:

-Max from Maximum Ride, she's got a heavey load on her back but she still manages to talk like a kid and say a few jackass comments
-Gig from Soul Nomad, c'mon! Who doesn't like evil Master of Death who swears and treats people like dirt then learns to care about other people and turns good! Best of the best
-Edward Elric from Full metal Alchemist, he's smart, skillful, and has a thing when people call him "short". Besides he's a good main character.
-Lili from Zodiac P.I., most of the time she takes things seriously but with a light mood. The kind of anime hero girl should be. And she doesn't have a crappy little frilly way girl over-rated skirt!...no...SHE HAS A *** KICKIN' DETECTIVE CAPE AND "LEATHER" (I think) SKIRT! x3
-Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia, need I say more? He doesn't take much seriously but he's one to be a friend. Loyal and hilarious.
-Emily the Strange, crazy goth (though she hasn't actually admited it from what I know) mad scientists who can create golems and loves cats. Lovely '^.^'
-(Well not actually a good guy buuuut....) Quinn Waters from the Devouring, from what everyone (Spoiler btw) thinks is a sweet golden boy, to who is actually a evil devious Vour. The way he works makes people love him in first site. He may not be good yet, but from the second book, you can tell he's a keeper

Ok....
that was way to long
xD

Even if your arms and legs are broken and you can't move. You can never give up! Thats just my style *Sparkle sparkle*

Old 05-16-2010, 04:17 AM   #7
theroninguy
Skilled
Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiiKimono View Post
Hmmm..... well for starters (Oh damn buddy you picked the wrong thing to say xD)

1.) Some protoginests are whiny little wusses. They cant' do anything and complain and just aren't cheerful. But in the end they learn a valuble lesson and get all macho and crap. *Insert eye roll here*

2.)Opposite of first one, when the hero thinks they're something else and are smug bastards. I mean the bad ones btw. They just don't give a crap and are extremely dramatic.

3.)This ones for girl heros, the ones that are total dead brains and get themselves kidnapped and do the most stupidest things. Real dead brains.

4.)Hero's that have no sense of humor what so ever, no sarcasim, no emotion, not even modesty, no witty coments at all. Just blank. Boring as hell.

Ok that's all I can think of but damn I could come up with more!
There are my favorite types of heros:
-Sarcastic heros that always seem to not take much seriously at all (Emily the Strange could be refered to right here)
-Sadistic heros, they've always got that charm about them that people like
-Medie heroic heros, the ones that go for the justic and know what to do, what's right and wrong. They do what their heart says and crap like that. But they don't over due it. They have other qualities to them that people like.
GO GO GO!!! XD

--------
Like the Sand King of Chaos..

Time to bury some fools,
My tail, my claws,
Such good destruction tools!

My only way to live - KILLING
And enemies shall do my bidding,
But they go crazy, roll around, smearing.

I, the Sand King, will live forever,
But does that matter?
I will crush everything, As fast as the wind sever!

I am now AVERAGE! YES!!
theroninguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
Auwchii
Skilled
Vassal
Average

Location: Right behind you... Above you perhaps? Nah right under... nevermind..

GA-GA-GA GAO GAI GAR!

[15:42]Coobie Well Seyiku
[15:42]Coobie I do intentionally cause people suffering
Auwchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:13 PM   #9
ChiiKimono
Skilled
Average

xD

Old 05-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #10
Neo
Skilled
Average

Moving along... ^_^'